Kratom has opiate-like effects despite being marketed as a herbal product. The fact that it is excellent for pain relief and other ailments such as mental illness and fatigue makes it ideal for use in the health and wellness industry.
Unfortunately, like most other addictive substances, Kratom’s effects can be adverse and devastating. Therefore, when one suspects that they are struggling with kratom addiction, it is best to seek professional help. Skyward Treatment Centre has the best programs to help you overcome such addictions with a lot of ease. It starts by understanding the potential causes of addiction, the symptoms, and available treatment options.
Kratom is an evergreen plant of Asian origin whose leaves are considered medicinal. Users ingest the kratom leaves in various forms to improve energy levels and help with other symptoms such as anxiety, depression, and physical pain. In some cases, Kratom has been said to support people dealing with opioid withdrawal symptoms.
However, Kratom affects individuals differently. The does also matter since an excess of it could easily lead to sedative effects and opioid-like symptoms. Kratom has psychoactive effects, which last up to five hours after consumption. This is the element that makes Kratom dangerous. It is not surprising that this product is considered illegal in some US states.
Identifying Kratom Addiction- Symptoms to Look Out For
Research shows that people used to consuming Kratom can develop a dependence on the substance. This is attributed to the chemicals that bind and work on the opioid receptors in the brain. The same happens with drugs such as heroin and other prescription pain-killer opioids. The withdrawal effects of Kratom can be severe and painful, which is why many have remained addicted. Surprisingly, the addiction occurs gradually. The stages of addiction are as follows:
- Trial stage: This is the initial phase. Some people never pass this stage, and immediate intervention can reverse the effects fast.
- Regular use: This is the typical phase where users try Kratom for specific issues. Unfortunately, even after the alleviation of the problem, many continue to use it.
- Increasing risks: This is a stage of increased use; probably, users go for higher doses and different types of Kratom for experimental purposes.
- Dependence: The addiction has already set in, and the users cannot do without the drug. Failure to consume Kratom leads to mood swings and physical pain at this stage.
- Substance use disorder is the riskiest stage since the addicts are totally hooked. They even engage in risky behaviors to get their fill of the substance.
Kratom addiction manifests in different ways, with the most common symptoms being physical symptoms. Itchiness, running nose, constipation, and muscle aches are a few of her symptoms. Users are also affected psychologically, as many develop insomnia, depression, mood swings, and hostility, among other symptoms. There will also be a few behavioral changes as the addicts no longer fear engaging in risky behaviors.
But What Causes Kratom Addiction
There are several reasons why people get addicted to Kratom. These include:
Personal history – Young people are likely to be addicted more than aged or mature individuals
- External stressors
- Co-occurring conditions
The good news is that whenever a Kratom addiction is identified, it is easier to get help. Don’t struggle or watch a loved one suffer in silence. The right addiction center or rehab facility is all you need. These have the right professionals and setups to support recovering addicts. Call us at Skyward Treatment for more info, and let us help you find a program that works for you.