Potato pies are among the tastiest meals you’d ever have. They are also among the healthiest. A microwave baked potato pie is totally healthy and can replace other less-healthy carbohydrates in special diets. There are a few important things to note before making a potato pie:
- Olive oil is preferable: The goal is to have a healthy pie that offers the best nutritional value. You can actually skip using oil (not many people are comfortable with this), but it is best to use olive oil if you want to use it. Olive oil is naturally free of cholesterol and other undesirable content that regular oil might have; the fat content is so low it doesn’t matter. 2 tablespoons of olive oil are enough to get your pie done. If you cannot get olive oil, you can also use refined coconut oil.
- Sweet potato is best: Although you could make potato pie with regular mashed potato with high GI, which probably contains large amounts of fat, low GI sweet potato is the best. Low GI sweet potato contains numerous nutrients that the body can easily absorb and utilize. For example, beta carotene is one nutrient your skin needs in regular amounts. Guess what? Sweet potato has generous amounts of it.
- Replace refined sugar: This is a healthy pie; of course, you should not use refined sugar. There are some options to replace that: coconut sugar can serve perfectly when you are making the pie crust, and then you can use maple syrup sugar for the filling. You can also use date palm sugar or erythritol. By all means, replace refined sugar. Refined sugar can easily shoot up the caloric count from the normal 329 kcal.
- Replace melted butter, heavy cream, and evaporated milk with Greek yogurt: The ingredients mentioned are not bad, but using Greek yogurt is healthier. Greek yogurt contains fewer calories and more proteins than the butter or cream.
- Preheat the oven: Microwave baked potato pie is best when baked in an oven preheated to 170oC. At this temperature, the heat is enough to cook the inside and outside of the mixture to make a perfect pie. It is important to not overcook the pie so that you don’t destroy the proteins and other nutrients.
Try microwave baked potato pies for next thanksgiving holiday; you will surely enjoy it.