Do I need to get self-storage unit insurance?


When you store items in a storage unit, you want your items to be protected. Sometimes, no matter what you do, or your storage facility does to protect things, the weather takes over or someone breaks into your unit and steals your items. When that happens, it’s important to have self-storage unit insurance.

What’s covered under self-storage unit insurance?

When you create your policy, it’s important to discuss your options with your insurance representative to confirm what is or is not covered. In general, you’ll have coverage should these things happen:

  • The unit catches fire
  • You experience hail damage
  • Wind damage
  • Hurricane damage
  • Tornado damage
  • Water leaks (flooding is usually excluded)
  • Smoke damage
  • Earthquake damage
  • Lightning damage
  • Theft

While these environmental and unfortunate events can protect your unit, there are a few things that you may store that will likely not be covered under your policy. Things like:

  • Jewelry
  • Artwork
  • Antiques
  • Deeds or legal docs
  • Stamp collections
  • Natural fur
  • Animals (like stuffed squirrels or bears)

Also, should you have mold, mildew, vermin, flooding, or a war break out where your items are, these are not typically covered.

Can I add my storage unit to my homeowner’s insurance policy?

Another question you might be wondering is if you can add your storage unit to your homeowner’s or renters insurance policy.

Typically, you will have a clause in your homeowners or renters insurance policy that’s called ‘off-premises’ and in that clause, you can add your storage unit, if applicable.

Should you not be able to add it under this clause, you’d want to get a personal insurance policy for your self-storage unit.

David Curry

Read Previous

How to Prepare the Kids for Storage Unit Safety

Read Next

A Cheap Solution to Storing College Kids Items Over Holiday Breaks