When thinking of home safety, what usually comes to mind are obvious dangers like natural disasters, fires or hazardous objects. However, there are many other potentially deadly hazards that can be more difficult to detect. To keep you and your family safe, here are a few of these dangers you should be aware of.
Mold typically develops in areas of your house that are damp and have little airflow. Since mold releases spores and other compounds into the air, it can cause reactions in people who are sensitive to them. These could include breathing problems and asthma, hay fever and severe allergic reactions. Black mold is a particularly dangerous type of mold, especially with prolonged exposure. Mold can usually be detected by its musty smell, but mold testing Portland Oregon can confirm its presence.
Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous potential hazards in your home because it’s virtually undetectable until symptoms appear. The colorless, odorless gas can be emitted by appliances such as furnaces or water heaters and becomes dangerous when these appliances aren’t vented properly. Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include nausea and confusion, but it can cause death if the symptoms are ignored or exposure occurs while sleeping. To prevent these serious consequences, be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Hazardous electrical wiring can cause fires, short circuits and electrocution. Problems with wiring can be common in older homes using dangerous systems such as aluminum wiring or knob and tube systems. The former creates loose connections in the wires and becomes a significant fire risk, and the latter can fray over time and become exposed. Another danger can arise if you have problems with rodents as they can chew on wires. Be sure to check for these problems and get an electrician’s assistance.
Your home should be a safe place for you and your family. To prevent accidents or sickness, be aware of potential silent dangers and get a professional’s help if necessary.